Review of Council Tax Empty Homes

London Borough of Redbridge is currently conducting a review of all empty homes. We aim to provide residents with the best possible service during this exercise by offering clear instructions on how to complete the form.

Occasionally circumstances may not be so easy to explain, to help in these situations we have included the most frequently asked questions that can arise throughout this review period.

Why have I been sent this letter? 

London Borough of Redbridge is currently reviewing the circumstances of all properties which are listed as empty. We are simply verifying and updating the occupancy of these properties.

How do I complete the form?

Please complete the form online and enter your PIN number, Account number and Postcode provided on the letter. 

Alternatively, if you are unable to complete the form online, please fill in the form on the reverse of your letter and return in the prepaid envelope provided.

If this property is still unoccupied, please tick the relevant box in Section A, sign and date the declaration.

If this property is now occupied, or will be occupied soon, please tick the relevant box in Section A and then list all of the occupants in Section B.  If they are disregarded, please provide the reason why. Do not include anyone under the age of 18 years. See the disregard flyer sent with the form.

What happens if I don't complete the form?

We will carry out further checks to identify the occupancy status of this property and ensure our records are correct.

What credit information do you hold on me?

We don’t hold any credit information on you, if you wish to see your credit file please contact any of the major credit reference agencies:

What happens if the form is returned after the 14 day deadline given?

As long as the completed form is returned within a reasonable amount of time it will be accepted. If the form is very late, further checks may be made.

Why am I being asked to return my information to a Nottingham address?

All returned forms are handled by a centrally based local government scanning facility. They then process the documents on behalf of many local authorities.

I have already informed the Council of a change in circumstances. Do I need to complete the form?

Yes, include all of the occupants of this property in your response or tick the relevant box in Section A if it is not occupied. 

Someone stays as this address for 3 or 4 nights a week, does this person count as an occupant?

If this person keeps their belongings at the address then it will be classed as their main residence and they should be included in your response.

Where does this person stay on the other 3 nights a week? If s/he stays at various addresses your address will still be classed as their main address and they should be included in your response.